1.7.4 comments

Chris Lyttle chris@wilddev.net
02 Dec 2002 14:11:17 -0800

On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 12:25, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> Hi, folks,
>
> - Installing gnucash hasn't gotten any easier over the years.  I gave up
>   trying to install from source on my Debian unstable system.  The RH 7.x
>   RPM, along with a gnucash.org g-wrap package, did the trick.  (BTW, the
>   linas.org download area seems to be rather behind the times...)

I'm not quite sure what you mean here, the requirements for this version
need only a newer g-wrap to upgrade. I know (cause I was talking with
him about it this week) that the debian GnuCash maintainer is working on
a unstable release for debian.

>   I used to use MS Money; it had a nice, one-at-a-time interface for
>   disposing of scheduled transactions.  Why did gnucash go with a "make
>   several passes over the list" approach?

I also am an ex- M$ Money user. From what I remember, when a payment
becomes due in money you go to a list of transactions to check them and
then commit. The druid we are using doesn't seem to me to be a very far
cry from this. Was there something in particular you didn't think worked
very well? It would be nice if you could describe an example.

> - I get tons of complaints like:
>
> The font "-*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-80-*-*-*-*-*-ISO8859-1" does not support all the required character sets for the current locale "en_US.iso885915"
>   (Missing character set "ISO8859-15")
>   (Missing character set "ISO8859-15")
>
>   Most things work fine anyway, but the "druid" windows come up blank.
>   There must be a way to tell it to look for a font it likes, but I
>   couldn't find it.

I also get these errors, which I think is due to some other package not
being setup right on my system. The druids, however work fine here. I'm
not exactly sure why the druid in particular would come up blank tho.

> - The documentation is good, as far as it goes.  I can't find any
>   documentation of the new business features, though.  I *think* its
>   definitions of "payable" and "receivable" accounts are reversed.

Thanks for that, I put a lot of effort into improving the docs. As you
noticed, they are a bit incomplete as yet. This release is basically one
of 'the basic structure is there, please comment on it and I'll add to
it as we get closer to the 1.8.0 release'.

Anyways thanks for the feedback and the review, we're trying to get this
release noticed and you'll certainly help that out.

Chris
--
RedHat Certified Engineer #807302549405490.
	|^|
	| |^| | |  Life out here is raw
	| | |^| |  But we will never stop
	| |_|_| |  We will never quit