Gnucash Foundation

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 14:18:25 -0600

On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 10:19:38AM +0100, Christian Stimming was heard to remark:

> No, nobody has to "give up" the tip jar idea. It just turns out that
> finding an international solution is more difficult than it initially
> occurred.
>
> IMHO we should simply say that electronical methods for donating money
> can only be provided within the US.

I'll probably set up a c2it.com donation jar.

Question: should I *also* set up a paypal jar?  (I am leary, because
of all the bad things that happen w/ paypal; but by not having one,
are we missing potential contributions?  Is it worth the heartache?)

Question: any other recommended services for which I should set up a
tip jar?

> Money transfers from/to non-US

With e.g. cstim's help, could we set up a tip jar in Germany, for
European donors?

> Money transfers from/to non-US
> countries should simply be done as cash in a letter,

No, because I can't do anything useful with paper money from a
non-US country.

> Anyway. In cbbrowne's proposed Gift exchange registry
> http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/fssp.html this would already be

Although I like the 'christmas card' idea,  I have already had one
developer write back to state that they would not want thier home
street address on a web page.  I had a potential donor write back
stating they werre uncomfortable with donating to an individual,
because they don't really know the extent of thier contribution,
nor have they previously had (email) contact with the developers in
question, and was in general too embarassed to write to ask for a
street address.

Thus, while I like the 'christmas card' idea, and want to try it in
time for this christmas, (send me your street addresses please), its
clear that it has its own set of problems.

> Instead the distribution of tips between developers is already done by
> each patron him/herself, but cbbrowne's central Gift Exchange Registry
> helps everyone to keep track of who contributes anything and who
> recieves anything.

Except that cbrowne's scripts are pre-alpha, and need a lot of work.
You aren't, uhh, volunteering to do this work?

--linas

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas@linas.org>