Gnucash Foundation [was: Re: Nothing works on Red Hat ]

gnucash@cbbrowne.com gnucash@cbbrowne.com
Sun, 08 Dec 2002 12:28:10 -0500

> I don't know how hard the interface would be to set up, or even if it
> can be done.  If it can't, then perhaps the administrator could send out
> monthly checks, or money whenever it appeared, and everything just goes
> to one account (with the allotment being recorded).  That's less
> automatic than desired, probably...

The "interface" is easy; the hard part is that as soon as any government
agency has any reason to take notice, the amount of bureaucracy takes off, and
tax implications rear their ugly heads.

The terrible thing that can happen is for:
a) The receipts to be deemed to be "sales," thus meaning a need to track sales
and pay sales taxes, and
b) The payments to be deemed to be "salaries," thus meaning a need to remit
at-source tax deductions to some appropriate government agency.

That's why my "FSSP" essay deprecates there being any sort of central "agency"
involved, because if there is one, there is a substantial risk that various
layers of taxes will get applied to it, particularly employment taxes.

If money gets sent to the FSF, or some "United Way-like" charity organization,
you may avoid the "sales" aspect, but payouts are sure to be considered
something that resembles "salary," and you get into the whole "bureaucracy of
tax collection" thing.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "moc.enworbbc@" "enworbbc"))
http://cbbrowne.com/info/rdbms.html