OFX Support

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 11:38:41 -0600

> On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 08:07:02PM -0500, Benoit Gr?goire wrote:
> >
> > As I said in my last message, that information is queried at runtime by
> > Quicken from a central Intuit server.  So yes, Intuit and Microsoft probably
> > receive an update everytime a bank moves their server.

At this point, do we know of the location of *any* OFX servers?

Years ago, I had the url for one, for one of the wall-street firms
(forget which).  It should still be in the pre-historic experimental
ofx dir in gnucash cvs.

I got the impression that banks were quite secretive and cagey about
it all; I talked to the VP technology at Compass Bank, and we had
a very long, very pleasent conversation, but I still wasn't told the
URL.

At one point, I tried to sniff the protocol between quicken and
intuit to see how they found the URL's, but was unsuccessful.
(I could read parts of the transaction in plaintext, unencrypted,
but not the part that mattered.)

This is a barrier to entry for doing true live online transactions
via OFX.  How are we going to get past this barrier?

--linas

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas@linas.org>