Some oddities in gnucash-cvs

Rik Harris rik@kawaja.net
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 23:00:03 +1100

In the interests of providing something useful back to the GnuCash effort,
I've been using the CVS version (last ChangeLog entry is 2002-11-26)
of GnuCash and have noticed a few strange things.  Perhaps someone could
identify whether they are problems with me or the software.

I can reliably reproduce all of these.  I've run 'Check and Repair all'
and it makes no difference.

1.  In any account register, if I select the "splits" section of the
    blank transaction at the end (either through clicking there, or
    selecting the "blank" icon, then select the description line of
    the transaction without entering data into the splits section,
    the following message gets printed to the tty:

    "Error: check_open: transaction 0x836d358 not open for editing

     Error: check_open:      Transaction.c:95"

2.  Once (1) has happened, when creating a new transaction, the
    transaction disappears while entering.  Specifically, I enter a date,
    tab across to the description field, enter the description, then when I
    hit tab (or click elsewhere) the data I just entered disappears, as if I
    hadn't typed it.  The workaround is to duplicate another transaction and
    modify it, or to close the ledger window and re-open it.

3.  When reconciling a liability account (credit card), I enter the date
    and closing balance (e.g. 400) and move to the reconciliation screen.
    If I then select Reconcile->Reconcile Information... The closing
    balance in the text box is negative (e.g. -400), when it should be
    the same as the originally entered closing balance (400)

4.  When I search for |Value| |<anything>| |is equal to| |<any amount>|,
    I get a bunch of unrelated share transactions.  It returns the same
    transactions every time.  Should I be able to use this for searching
    for transaction amounts?

5.  When editing an invoice (great stuff, by the way), once I enter a
    line of data, it does not create me a new "blank" line at the bottom
    where I can enter the next line.  I need to hit "close" then "find
    invoice" to bring it back up again, at then it has another blank
    line.  Unfortunately, I need to do this for _every_ new line, which
    gets a bit tedious.  If I hit "duplicate", it doesn't do anything in
    the user interface, but if I close and reopen the invoice, I can
    tell that it has actually performed the duplicate.

6.  Once I've "post"ed an invoice, I can't "unpost" it.  How is this
    feature supposed to work?

7.  (this one is a feature request) I would like to be able to configure
    the list of sources for commodity price quotes.  I found that Yahoo
    Australia works, but that's not in the list (although it is in the
    Finance::Quote).  I had to modify quotes/finance-quote-helper and
    app-utils/gnc-ui-util.c every time.  Maybe a one-time update to
    those files to include everything that Finance::Quote supports would
    be better.  Would you like a patch?  Maybe after 1.8.0?

I'm otherwise very happy with GnuCash and am keen to help out.

I haven't tried 1.7.5.  Should I?

thanks,
rik.