more importer proposals

Chris Lyttle chris@wilddev.net
14 Dec 2002 15:44:34 -0800

On Sat, 2002-12-14 at 10:34, bock@step.polymtl.ca wrote:

> >I forgot one idea -- would it be possible to switch the background color to
> >"white" once the user has clicked on the transaction? This would mean that in
> >the beginning the user sees which txns need work, and by going through that
> >one-by-one the user clearly sees which ones he's already been working on and
> >which ones still need his intervention.
>
> That is similar to my original idea:  Make all trasactions where the user made a
> manual change white, but I couldn't get the logic right.  Making them white when
> simply clicked to flag is a good idea.  But exactly in which case would you flag
> them?  Actions you take can get you back to "red" (skip transaction or no match
> selected to reconcile)  I suppose what would be appropriate would be to make a
> transaction "white" when clicked and it would otherwise be green.

My thought on this are, how do you tell the user that the txn is ready
to be processed? I mean the colors are used to indicate the state of the
txn to the user, and there are 3 possible import states; dont import,
import unbalanced or import balanced. Now once they are set to the
state, the user will want to be able to see quickly the txn are the
color he expects, but to mark them as processed with white means they
have to re-check every white txn as it no longer indicates its import
state with a color. I think the visual indicator that a txn has been
changed by the user should be a separate item from the color state. My
ideas for this (just a list of possibilities);
1) Another column that changes to '*' or a tick to indicate its been
changed
2) Put at the beginning of the Import Action column a '*' or tick
3) Put at the beginning of the Date column a '*' or a tick

> What do you think?  (And when exactly is the next release, I only go back home
> tommorow.)

Its supposed to be Sunday, but that depends on getting a new version of
g-wrap.
--
RedHat Certified Engineer #807302549405490.
	|^|
	| |^| | |  Life out here is raw
	| | |^| |  But we will never stop
	| |_|_| |  We will never quit