OFX Support

Kevin Cramer kcramer@siscom.net
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 17:30:07 -0500

Thank you for the information.  The only part I am unclear on is how I
would get the OFX file from my bank.  It looks like your library does
not handle getting the OFX file.

I setup my bank in Quicken and I do not know how to get to the OFX
file.  It does all that automatically in the background.  Both the
transaction download and bill pay are done in Quicken--I never go to a
web site.  I haven't installed the beta version of GnuCash yet but I
assume it just imports an OFX file in the same manner that it imports
the QIF file?

Have you found information on how to get the OFX from various banks
and credit card companies?  It seems like that would be helpful.  I
could probably use a packet sniffer to figure out the hostname/IP and
port of the server but it would be a problem if they ever changed it.
I wonder how Intuit handles it.  I guess the banks just give them
updates.

I wonder if GnuCash as a software project could ask banks to provide
them with that information?  There might be a good chance they get
turned down but you never know.  It would also be a lot of work to
partner with all the banks to get that info. and I imagine the banks
would worry about support issues.

Kevin