problem with entering a stock transaction

Nathan Neulinger nneul@umr.edu
27 Dec 2002 21:36:23 -0600

I figured out what was going on, see below for details, seems screwy to
me.

On Fri, 2002-12-27 at 11:54, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Nathan Neulinger <nneul@umr.edu> writes:
>
> > I've got a stock account for keeping track of pre-bought LP gas.
> >
> > I tried to enter in a transaction from 300 shares/gallons from
> > Stocks:Propane to Expenses:Gas at .849. When I enter that in, -300,
> > .849, 254.70 in the propane line, gc then fills in something like 216.24
> > on the expenses line. Why is it doing that instead of entering 254.70?
>
> What register style are you using? (Basic, Auto-Split, or Journal?)
> Are you in double-line mode?

Journal

> I presume you are entering this txn from the Stocks:Propane register?

Yes.

> Can you detail the exact key-presses and button-clicks that you're using?
> For example do you 'tab' between columns, or use the mouse.. Do you tab
> off the end of lines or use 'enter'... Things like that....

Open S:P
Click in Desc
Type "All St", Tab
It fills in the last transaction I did - sell of 260 at .849 for 220.74,
with 220.74 in the buy for E:U:Gas, and .849/220.74 on the S:P line.

Click on -260, change to -300, Tab, leave .849, tab, tab, 254.70, enter

If I then click in the buy for E:U:G, and enter 254.70, then tab, it
immediately changes it to 216.24.

If instead I remove splits, and do tab to Stocks:Propane, tab, -300,
tab, .849, tab, tab, 254.70, tab, tab, tab, E:U:G, tab, tab, erase the
1, tab, 254.70

AH!, I've got it... Very weird. the register is taking input into the
buy cell as a number of shares, and immediately converting it to
dollars. That is VERY non-intuitive. Part of the problem was that my old
transaction has E:U:G listed first, and S:P listed in second split, so I
think it got a little confused on autocalculation.

If I enter 300 into the cell for E:U:G Buy, it works, and converts it to
254.70 as soon as I tab out.

> > It won't let me commit the transaction either. It tries to enter a
> > balance correction on another line.
>
> Not surprising...

Yes/no... even after the balance correction it wouldn't let me commit.