gnome help browser

Chris Lyttle chris@wilddev.net
30 Dec 2002 13:09:45 -0800

On Mon, 2002-12-30 at 10:52, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> > > 1) No search functionality - We could use possibly an internal search
> > > function to find pages, but it would require what I regard as to much
> > > effort for little gain.
>
> Personally, I'd rank searchable gnucash documentation number one on
> the documentation scale of 'must-have' features.
>
> Can we prevail on someone in the gnome2 devel group to add search to
> the gnome help browser?  How hard can this be?  Can we add it ourselves
> to gnome help, so that all gnome apps can make use of it?  The gnome
> guys are pretty accomadating usually.
>

> All of these are very good reasons.  How much work is it to change?
> Is the effort to change worth it?  How badly broken is the current
> gnucash help system?
>
> I guess I'm not sure about what's currently broken, so I don't see
> much advantage in changing.  I don't see how a change will fix anything
> that's currently broken.

The problem I was pointing out wasn't necessarily that there was broken
stuff currently, but rather the need for maintenance of this part of the
code. It isn't a significant amount of work to change, I could probably
do most of the work myself if that was required (apart from the
necessary check by a competent hacker to verify I didn't mess anything
up). But then, if the search functionality is your number one item the
discussion is moot. I know also this isn't available in the GNOME 1.4
help system (nor probably will ever be) and as for this release we are
wanting the help to work for GNOME 1.4 it would squash the idea at this
time.
GNOME2's Yelp help browser does have this now (I haven't looked at it
closely, just saw it in a recent changelog).

Chris
--
RedHat Certified Engineer #807302549405490.
	|^|
	| |^| | |  Life out here is raw
	| | |^| |  But we will never stop
	| |_|_| |  We will never quit