General Query Framework, a proposal

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
29 Jan 2002 11:15:40 -0500

Dave Peticolas <dave@krondo.com> writes:

> Thanks, this looks like a great start.

Thanks.

[snip]
> I realize that isn't list isn't comprehensive, but we
> should support all the basic kvp types, including int64
> and double. Also, boolean would be good, too.

True, but this list is "comprehensive" in that it covers everything
that the current Query can cover.  But yea, we should be able to
cover all the KVP types.

[snip]
> Or just add a 'character' type, maybe.

That would work, too, and the predicate data can be a "list" of
"wanted" characters.

> > The attached files are the current (incomplete) header files.  Please
> > let me know what you think so far.
>
> From my reading of the API, it looks like each object
> data member (account name, account code, etc), is registered
> individually. Is that right? What about dynamic kvp data?

Yes, you read it right.  Keep in mind that each 'type' defines it's
own predicate-data object....

I need to think about the kvp data.  My first off-the-cuff idea would
be to define a 'kvp' type, register the kvp-getter, and in the
predicate-data define the slot/frame name, type, and data.  Or perhaps
have it recurse a bit?  Like I said, I have to think about how to
handle kvp data.  Do you have any ideas?

> dave

Thanks for your comments,

Anyone else have anything to say?