balances on individual tx's wrong in register (was: no subject)

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
03 Jul 2002 07:25:17 -0400

Yes, you're right.  And yes, I can reproduce this problem, but I don't
know a good way to _fix_ it.  In short: running balances are HARD.

Here's the problem: the register is only a partial view of the
account.  For example, you can limit your view to, say, the last 50
transactions.  When you change the sort order you change the subset of
the account you are viewing.  How do you know the initial balance
outside the area you are looking?

To take your example, assume you have 3 transactions (let's call them
a, b, and c in the "standard" sort order) but you're only viewing 2 (b
and c).  In the case of the 'standard' sort order, everything works
fine and the running balances are in order (for obvious reasons).
However, if you change the order such that you are now viewing, say, b
and a, there is no easy way to determine that 'a' was left off.  Now,
multiply this to thousands of transactions and you quickly see the
problem.

Feel free to file a bug report at bugzilla.gnome.org, but honestly I
can't think of a good way to support what you want.

-derek