notes about compiling gnucash

Jeremy T. Brown jtbrown@utk.edu
Mon, 8 Jul 2002 15:10:02 -0400

After quite a bit of work, I finally got GnuCash to compile on a Slackware 8.1
system.  A few things I though might be worth mentioning:

1) GnuCash doesn't seem to like existing on a system with any Guile newer than
1.4.  Since there is a version 1.5 of Guile out right now, would it be
possible to adjust the configure script so that GnuCash links with and/or uses
Guile 1.4 instead of 1.5?  Maybe it's already set up that way and just doesn't
work on my system since I have Guile 1.4.1.

2) In the file lib/srfi/srfi-8.scm, the lines:

 ((or (string=? "1.3" (version))
      (string=? "1.3.4" (version))
      (string=? "1.4" (version)))

have to be changed to

 ((or (string=? "1.3" (version))
      (string=? "1.3.4" (version))
      (string=? "1.4" (version))
      (string=? "1.4.1" (version)))

in order for GnuCash to run under Guile 1.4.1.

I hope this helps.  GnuCash really is an excellent piece of accounting
software, and I hate that it doesn't compile more easily.

Jeremy Brown