Saving report options and running reports from command line

Matt Armstrong matt@lickey.com
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 22:28:08 -0600

Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU> writes:

> Matt Armstrong <matt@lickey.com> writes:
>
>> The roadmap at http://linas.org/linux/gnucash/projects.html#reports
>> mentions two features I'm finding I'd really like: the ability to
>> memorize a given report + options for later recall and the ability
>> to run a report from the command line (e.g. for use from cron,
>> etc.).
>
> Report options are currently saved in ~/.gnucash/books/<bookname>
> and are re-loaded when you restart Gnucash.

This appears to be close to what I'm talking about.  But it lacks for
two reasons:

    - The report window must stay be open when you quit gnucash for it
      to be available when you re-start.  This causes the report to be
      re-run when gnucash starts.  This is a considerable performance
      penalty.

    - Once closed, there is no way to re-create the same report again
      without manually tweaking the report settings again.

In other words, there is no way to run report X, change its options in
some way, give it a name, and then re-run that report at a later time.
At least as far as I can tell.

> I do not believe there is a command-line for reports.

That's my conclusion too.

>> Are these features currently being worked on?  This is perhaps an
>> area I can contribute (I fall in the "I'm a programmer" category.).

This seems like a feature that would be reasonably easy to implement,
since as you point out there is already a way to store report settings
in a file.  The rest is just getting the UI right.