is it possible to save a list of lists in the option db?

Christian Stimming stimming@tuhh.de
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 10:56:53 +0200

Okay, the reset-to-defaults problem is enough of a bummer to not
consider the option-db for HBCI data any longer.

Therefore I'm probably going to store some minimum amount of data in the
GNCBook kvp-frame, and some more data in the Account kvp-frame.

Derek Atkins wrote:

> There is no way to store lists of strings in the option-db.  You would
> have to create a new option type to do so.

No lists at all? I thought that at least plain lists would work through
the list-option type. But anyway, because of the reset-problem I
wouldn't want to use even those.

> You really should think about what you need to store, where, and why.
>
> In particular, I'm not at all convinced that banks will assign
> multiple userids to access the same bank account, nor am I at all
> convinced that there will be this level of multiple access.  In
> particular if there is a direct binding of "Gnucash Account" <-> "HCBI
> Bank + Account", I'm not convinced you need to keep much more
> information than a binding between "HCBI Bank" and "Username/Password".

*cough* When I'm talking about HBCI support and data that I need to
store there, I'm really not talking about something that I have made up
myself :-) . The HBCI specification is quite verbose about which
different identifications are available and what the relation between
those is. And if they explicitely specify that multiple user ids can be
assigned to the same bank accounts, then I better implement that in the
client application. I mean, it's okay to remind me whether I come up
with issues that sound stupid^H^H^H^H^H not really well-thought, but in
this case I've spent the last 3 months on our hbci code in
http://www.openhbci.de to sort out all these kinds of stuff. (Which is
why it took so long until I eventually started on gnucash hbci code.)

Most of the HBCI configuration code will be stored in an openhbci-owned
configuration file anyway. So I will probably let gnucash rely on that
file with almost any data that I thought gnucash might want to store itself.

Christian