Taxes and Discounts: order of operations question

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
15 Jun 2002 15:07:29 -0400

It may depend on the government (or the discount).  I certanly don't
know the rules for all the various countries out there (I barely
understand the rules in the US!)  It also may depend on the type of
discount.  For example, a discount coupon for "$5 off" is most likely
taken after tax.  I think in the end it's best to allow all the
options and let the user choose the computation method.  Flexibility
is good :)

-derek