account matching (was: Generic transaction import)

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
28 Jun 2002 16:26:49 -0400

Sorry to chime in a bit late, however....

Christian Stimming <stimming@tuhh.de> writes:

> Ah yes, now I understand. These two functions, together with the
> account_online_id string in your proposed format is used for finding
> the right account to do import the transactions into. Now the point
> in HBCI is that I *always* know already the Account* where the
> transactions are going to be imported into. From HBCI, the order of
> actions upon transaction importing is the following:
>
> 1. Identify that a particular account has a real-world counterpart
> accessible with HBCI, therefore present the user a GUI button
> "Download transactions for this account by HBCI"

I've got a question, here.  What if the user starts at their
HBCI-enabled bank instead of starting with Gnucash?  Or is that not
possible with HBCI?  Are you assuming that Gnucash is driving the data
instead of the bank or the user?

If I open a new bank account, does that imply that I must create a new
Gnucash account and tie that to HBCI, rather than having the HBCI
subsystem notice that I don't have an existing HBCI-enabled account
and ask me to choose an existing account or create a new one?