Compiling on Mandrake 8.2

Michael T. Garrison Stuber garrisonstuber@bellsouth.net
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 23:02:14 -0500

--On Saturday, March 30, 2002 09:52:29 PM -0500 "Michael T. Garrison
Stuber" <garrisonstuber@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Okay, I've found the problem, but I'm at a loss as to how to fix it.

This is getting bad.  Not only do I talk to myself, but I email myself as
well.  I figured out the problem and a suitable workaround.   I believe
(but I don't know) that this solution may resolve problems compiling under
Debian "Woody" as well.

Here's the deal:  Mandrake 8.2 ships with libtool 1.4.2.  libtool 1.4.2 has
some special code in it to handle libraries that are listed twice because
of circular dependencies.  Apparently this new code doesn't work with the
build scripts for GNUCash.  I reverted back to libtool 1.4.0 and everything
is now happily compiling.  I'm not sure what it would take to make the
build scripts run with libtool 1.4.2, nor am I sure whether the problem is
with the GNUCash scripts or with libtool itself.  No matter where the root
issue lies, GNUCash 1.6 and libtool 1.4.2 are not compatible -- at least
not under Mandrake.

--
Michael T. Garrison Stuber