suggestions

Nathan Neulinger nneul@umr.edu
Wed, 01 May 2002 23:41:48 -0500

(I'm not on the list, hope this gets through with approval.)

Just a couple suggestions I've had after using gnucash for a bit. Some
seem easy to me, others maybe not so easy.

* In register - if you enter a non-existent account, and tab out, it
asks if you want to create. Would be nice if this behavior existed for
when you hit enter as well.

* In register - Would be nice if there were some straightforward way of
recording that "Mastercard" recorded payment on X/Y/Z, but my checking
account wasn't debited until A/B/C. Perhaps as simple as allowing a
transaction date on the individual items in a split.

* (Not positive on this) It seems like if you switch transactions around
- i.e. if you enter data in wrong column, and then change, the register
has an annoying habit of rearranging itself out from under you when you
hit tab. Would be preferable if the re-arrange action only took place
when hitting enter or switching to another transaction. (I may be
remembering this incorrectly.)

* Would be nice if the profit & loss report had an option for "Hide zero
   dollar accounts.

* Odd stuff - I get paid on the last day of the month, but for my
budgetting, I like to have that be included in reporting for this month.
Would be nice if the reporting date inputs had limited calculation
support built in - i.e. "Last day of previous month" [- X days]. Or an
option "Last Weekday of Last Month"

* Related to above - the date ranges for reporting don't let you choose
a start date of "Last ...",

* Register input - If you enter in two accounts, then put an amount on
the first one, and tab out - GC fills in a third row. Might be nice if
there were an option to "Fill in misbalance on first row without amount".

* Register. I think you can probably do this with a transaction report -
haven't tried yet, but would be nice if there were a way to "Open this
and all sub-accounts" into a single window, with the "Account Name"
being one of the displayable fields. This would be useful for opening an
expense account that had a bunch of sub-accounts if you wanted to get an
overall view, but still be able to edit it reasonably. Sortof like the
general ledger option - but limited to accounts under a particular
parent. (How bout a right click "Open as Ledger" option on accounts?)

* Would like to see account name not truncated if there is room in the
memo field to the left. This may be a limitation of the table widget,
but would be a nice plus.

That's all for now, hope that some of these are useful.

-- Nathan