Using a C++ library from either C or Scheme

gnucash@cbbrowne.com gnucash@cbbrowne.com
Mon, 06 May 2002 20:26:52 -0400

--==_Exmh_118736788P

> Hi Rob or anybody else,
>
> I'm about to start working on implementing HBCI support in Gnucash. (HBCI =
> German online banking protocol standard.)
>
> Fortunately enough, other developers from Germany (most notably Martin
> Preuss) have finished a library that encapsulates all the ugly protocol
> programming. I will definitely want to use their library for accessing the
> HBCI actions. Now, the library itself is written in C++ ... and thus I
> somehow need to access C++ from Gnucash. I'd like to hear your opinions on
> how hard it would be to access C++ from either C or Scheme (both languages
> would work just fine for me). And/or does there happen to exist any g-wrap
> support for C++?
>
> Also, does anybody know any resources and/or tutorials and/or examples on how

> to wrap the C++-library best into C or Scheme?

Ack!  There's already a downright frightening number of dependencies in
GnuCash what with the GNOME stuff.

Throwing in C++ as another would be downright disastrous.

One suggestion:  Consider writing your software so that it can run as an
independent server process.  No GUI, no attempt at compiling it in with
anything else.  Use some form of IPC to allow GnuCash to connect to it.  In
particular, I'd commend the thought of using CORBA for this.  GNOME uses it,
so that the GnuCash side wouldn't be adding any frightful new dependancy.  And
that would allow there to be NO need to link any C++ in.

--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.gultn@" "enworbbc"))
http://www.cbbrowne.com/info/lsf.html

--