HBCI data structures and Gnucash

Darius Powell dariusp@ot.com.au
15 May 2002 19:37:16 +1000

> > Apart from those details, online banking deals with just a few different
> > data types, and I'm going to describe which ones they are and where they
> > should belong to inside Gnucash, IMHO. This is meant to kick off a
> > discussion for both the HBCI developers as well as other Gnucash developers
> > (especially if they are working on yet more online banking standards) on
> > whether this seems to be the "right way" of implementing online banking in
> > Gnucash.
>
> I dont know if I have the "right way" anymore than you do, but I am currently
> working on OFX support, so here are my thoughts.

I'm currently working on a script to automatically download
transactions.  Currently it generates qif files for import.

However I would like to have more direct plumbing with Gnucash instead
of manually importing qif files.

It would be good if transactions were downloaded in the background at
scheduled times (even if Gnucash is not running).  Also the user
should be able to request transactions be downloaded from within
Gnucash.

If transactions are downloaded and Gnucash is not running then when it
is started next the transactions are imported automatically.

If transactions are downloaded (either scheduled or user request) and
Gnucash is running then Gnucash imports them immediately.

Perhaps what is needed is a module similar to the Quotes module for
online banking?  Or does something like this already exist?

This module could then (based on the account) interface to the
appropriate external program to perform online banking actions.

Comments / Ideas?

--
Darius Powell (dariusp@ot.com.au)