GNUCash, GNOME and Bugzilla

Conrad Canterford conrad@mail.watersprite.com.au
15 May 2002 22:51:56 +1000

On Wed, 2002-05-15 at 18:10, Chris Lyttle wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-05-10 at 08:28, CHRISTIAN.SCHALLER wrote:
> > Hi people,
> > My name i Christian Schaller and I write the weekly GNOME summraries (togheter with Steve George). I was just scanning your mail archives looking for something to put into the summary when I noticed your bug system discussion. Why don't you guys move gnucash bugzilla into
> > GNOME bugzilla? There would be many advantages of such a solution among other things that the now quite effectily working GNOME bug team could help you triage bugs and also when gnucash crash and bug buddy pops up you would be using a bugzilla that supports mail in bugs which bug-buddy demands.
> > Christian
> This is one idea that might work. We could piggyback as it were on what
> is done in GNOME for bugs. How would people feel about this, or is there
> a strong preference for keeping all the GnuCash things centered around
> gnucash.org?
> Chris

I have no problem with us using gnomes bugzilla (one less thing for us
to administer) though I'd like to hear from the LDG guys to make sure
they're happy with the idea (just thinking that they may want to keep
some gnucash bug tracing in-house at some point now or in the future).

As a follow-up to Christians final comment, I have to say that I'm not
keen on the idea of us changing to gnome cvs. The setup at the moment
requires some form of pre-vetting of work before people are given cvs
access. If I understand correctly, this is not the case with the gnome
cvs - there may be some initial vetting, but once allowed for one
project, people have global access to all projects. I would not like to
chance inexperienced people making gnucash changes.

However since I'm neither developing or even using cvs gnucash at the
moment, my comments are worth precisely the amount of the paper they're
not written on.

Conrad.
--
Conrad Canterford  (conrad@mail.watersprite.com.au)