HBCI data structures and Gnucash

Benoit Grégoire bock@step.polymtl.ca
Thu, 16 May 2002 01:30:16 -0400

> I'm currently working on a script to automatically download
> transactions.  Currently it generates qif files for import.
>
> However I would like to have more direct plumbing with Gnucash instead
> of manually importing qif files.

I am also currently working at this stage.  I have working ofx support for
pretty much the whole specification for transaction download.  I can
trivially export qif files, but i don't want to use such a mediocre transport
format, after working so herd to support the whole spec.  However, I have
some trouble figuring out the current qif module, as it is mostly written in
scheme.  I probably have to learn a little scheme if I want to understand
what piece of code takes care of what.  Well, one way or another, I have to
get it done in the next five weeks.

> It would be good if transactions were downloaded in the background at
> scheduled times (even if Gnucash is not running).  Also the user
> should be able to request transactions be downloaded from within
> Gnucash.

I am not all sure this is a good idea.  There would be pretty steep security
issues.  To download in the background at regular intervals, gnucash would
have to keep the passwords necessary for access, 24h a day.  If we want to
run even when gnucash is not, the passwords will have to be stored on disk!
So anyone stepping in front of the computer could theorically start
transferring money between accounts.  And imagine if the bank allows online
wire transfers...
--
Benoit Grégoire
LibOFX http://step.polymtl.ca/~bock/libofx/