Saving "options" in the Book?

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
24 May 2002 15:55:40 -0400

The options subsystem in Gnucash is pretty cool.  You can create a set
of pages and a set of options on each of your pages.  It's extremely
flexible in terms of how you can create new options literally on the
fly and the GUI will be dynamically created to present those options
to the user.

The only problem is that I can't figure out how to get options tied
into a book.  I'd like to be able to use this wonderful, dynamic UI
but have the data stored in, e.g. the KVP of the Book.  For example,
from the business accounting perspective I'd like to be able to store
the Company Name and Address in the Book (that way you can have
multiple Books for different companies).

Currently there is only one set of global options, which is stored in
the user's gnucash-config.  There are also a set of report options,
which are stored in the user's ~/.gnucash/books directory, but as far
as I can tell there is no way to store options _with_ the book itself.

My question is: has anyone looked into this?  Is there a convenient
"KVP<->UI" framework?  I could certainly just create a simple glade UI
for the company name and address and manually store it in the book,
but I think that having a general solution would be better in the long
run.  I'm hoping it would be easy to use the current option framework,
but I don't understand it well enough.

Suggestions?