multi-currency accounts

Christian Stimming stimming@tuhh.de
Fri, 01 Nov 2002 09:49:37 +0100

Eildert Groeneveld wrote:

> The standard currency in my setup is Euro. There two more accounts with other
> currencies. These three accounts are subaccounts. The total of all three
> accounts seems to be given correctly in the higher level account. Each
> account has two TOTAL columns  in the main accounts ledger. While the first
> column gives the accounts total correctly in the respective national
> currency, the second is in Euro (i.e. the standard currency). For foreign
> currency the sum is always 0,00 EU; is this a feature or a bug?

The "Euro" column in the account tree window was never designed to show
the actual exchanged value, by retrieving the price from the price
database or from somewhere else. Instead, that Euro column was only
supposed to work for Euroland-Currencies. So since January this year
this column is pretty useless.

Instead, prices from the price editor are used in most of the reports.
Try the "Account Overview" ("Kontoübersicht" or similar) report and play
around with the multi-currency settings in the options. These should
give you the numbers that you need. Also, your report settings will be
restored from session to session *if* you leave those report windows
open upon gnucash shutdown. For me, I basically switched to only
choosing accounts from the acccount overview report and not using the
account hierarchy view anymore.

Christian