good summary of translation issues for programmers (draft)

Christian Stimming stimming@tuhh.de
Mon, 04 Nov 2002 11:49:04 +0100

Christian Rose (menthos) from the gnome-i18n project created a (draft)
writeup of translation issues that programmers should be aware of:

http://www.menthos.com/l10n/developer/

Specifically, he has a good paragraph with the advice "Never split
sentences" (about 80% down in that document) that we at gnucash should
read, too. I encountered several places in gnucash where in fact people
have created translation messages for *parts* of sentences, which is a
BAD IDEA. Every time I find something like this I replace it with the
proper solution, but I surely have missed several places of that. Even
more specifically, some of our dialogs have this problem: In the search
dialogs (and IIRC in the SX creation dialog as well), we have sentences
split over several labels/multichoice lists. This basically results in
translated messages that are only parts of sentences, which should be
avoided (as mentioned above). During the next days I might come up with
proposals on how to change that, but maybe other people can give it a
thought, too.

Christian