PostgreSQL & Freecoins

cbbrowne@acm.org cbbrowne@acm.org
Mon, 04 Nov 2002 21:00:28 -0500

On Mon, 04 Nov 2002 19:19:30 CST, the world broke into rejoicing as
John F Meinel Jr <gnucash@johnmeinel.com>  said:
> Once again I'm here to ask a question for freecoins, the palm record
> keeping software (http://freecoins.sourceforge.net)...
> Someone believed that gnucash supported a SQL backend instead of using
> an XML file.  Is that true?  The reason is that the author and lead
> developer of freecoins would like to see it connected with a SQL db as a
> generic conduit.  And then have gnucash connect to the same db.
> So were they right?  Or is that an old, unused feature that isn't
> supported anymore?
> I believe his thought was that since it is already in database format
> (palm db), it is easier to convert it to another database format, then
> to try and go back to QIF's or something like that.
> John

What do you understand "database format" to mean?

The way I usually understand it as is as "something totally irrelevant
that the DBMS takes care of so that I don't need to give a rip about
it."

At any rate, the SQL back end does function, at least marginally. It is
not well-maintained, so it doesn't work well at this point.

And it is totally irrelevant that FreeCoins uses "a database" and that
GnuCash can use "a database;" that does nothing to establish that it
will be easy to transfer data back and forth...
--
(concatenate 'string "chris" "@cbbrowne.com")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/finances.html