Question re MacOS and GNUCash

Peter O'Gorman ogorman@users.sourceforge.net
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 12:17:01 +0900

On Thursday, November 7, 2002, at 08:38  AM, Cliff Bamford wrote:

> > Here's my question. Now that Mac OS X is FreeBSD based, I'm tempted
> > replace all our Wintel boxes with Macs. Although I once hacked Unix
> > back when dinosaurs ruled the Earth, I have a business to run and
> need
> > to buy a fairly tightly packaged system that consumes a minimal
> amount
> > of mental bandwidth. These days, Macs look pretty attractive in that
> > regard.

The current cvs gnucash should compile and run on Mac OS X. Note that
this is not an aqua port, you will require all then gnome libraries and
an XFree86 installation.

If you want to get a package manager to do most of the work for you,
you can take a look at fink - http://fink.sf.net.

I don't have the time to port gnucash to aqua, which although certainly
possible is too much work for me and my limited free time, if you don't
mind having to install X11, gnome etc, then gnucash is certainly cool.
If you want aqua's "lickability", then you'll have to look at quicken
et.al. and part with some of your hard earned cash.

If someone else wants to do most of the "heavy lifting" in porting to
the aqua ui, then I'd be happy to lend a hand when time allows.

Hope this helps,
If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me.

Peter