New transactions do not match account currency (cvs 11122002)

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
14 Nov 2002 14:00:17 -0500

Jan Nielsen <nielsen@revicon.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> You wrote:
>
>  >What locale setting do you use?
>  >Do you have a default currency set in Edit -> Preferences -> International?
>
> I don't have the machine I normally use available here, but my
> semi-educated guess would be that I use locale "C" and that I do not
> have a preference set (i.e probably defaulting to USD).

Based on this, your transactions will be in USD unless you use
the Transfer Dialog.

> However, I fail to see why the locale and/or preferences should
> interfer with the entry currency. I assumed that the reason an account
> has a currency is that all entries in that account are in that given
> currency, independently of whether I am in Taiwan or in Germany or
> elsewhere. In my case I have bank accounts in several currencies, and
> would normally enter transactions in the local currency for each
> account and expect the entry to follow the account (except, of course,
> through "inter currency" transfers (BTW, nice that the intermediate
> account for that is gone now).

This is a known bug (see bug #97690).  Gnucash uses the Locale to
choose your "default currency" and _ALL_ transfers (out of the
register) are in this currency.