Revising Gnucash 1.8 schedule

Christian Stimming stimming@tuhh.de
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 11:35:06 +0100

Plan so far:

Oct 13 Feature freeze, release 1.7.1-alpha

Oct 27 Total feature freeze, initial string freeze + initial translation
work, release 1.7.2-alpha

Nov 18 (originally: Nov 10) Deep freeze = only bugfixes, String freeze,
call for translations, release 1.7.3-beta

Now:

Which parts are missing that are essential for 1.8 but will break String
freeze and/or be a new feature? I know of:

* Currency exchange transaction Dialog; responsible: Derek

* Generic transaction import - Account matcher; responsible: ? (Benoit,
cstim, Derek); but I would consider this as non-essential for 1.8, so if
we cannot get it done until the next beta, I would propose to delay that
until final 1.8 is out.

Now this means that in the next beta, there will still be new features
added (at least the transaction dialog). I think that before 1.8, we
should have at least one release with *zero* new features added but only
bugs fixed. Therefore I'd propose to have two (instead of one) more beta
releases until the final 1.8.0 - but the interval between the bug-only
release and 1.8 may IMHO be allowed to be only one week. This would
result in

Dec 1 release 1.7.4-beta: Deep freeze + String freeze. From now on no
new features until after 1.8.0 is out. New strings only after checking
back with cstim.

Dec 15 Release 1.7.5-beta: Still deep freeze + string freeze. Definitely
no new features until after 1.8.0 is out. From now on bugfixes only
after review on #gnucash or gnucash-devel, and definitely no string changes.

Dec 22 Release 1.8.0 for Christmas :-)

After that, a quick 1.8.1 release will be needed basically only with
updated translations. We then need to decide on when to split off a new
HEAD / gnucash-1.8 branch to be able to code on totally new features
without screwing up the stable series. But I guess that shouldn't be
decided right now. :-)

Christian