GnuCash developper documentation

David Hampton david@rainbolthampton.org
22 Nov 2002 17:14:32 -0800

--=-HQa8NXMK919WIAdfgu8Y

On Fri, 2002-11-22 at 16:28, Matthew Vanecek wrote:
> I whole-heartedly agree.  There are several great tools for creating API
> references (e.g., javadoc, doxygen, etc).  My suggestion is to decide on
> which tool would be best, and to create a standards doc. with comment
> structure the #1 item in it.=20

Agreed.

>  As code is worked, the developer should
> make an effort to put the comments into the standard format such that
> the document tool can pick them out.  I think a mass update of
> *everything* probably is very difficult to engineer.=20=20

Its not hard to run through and comment all the functions in a file
while you are working there.

> All new
> code/patches should be checked for properness before being committed.=20
> It may also be a good time to standardize on a coding style to (e.g, GNU
> vs K&R).=20

Pick one. My only 'requirement' is that the opening brace of a function
be in column 0 so that the emacs beginning-of-defun function will work
properly.  Drives me crazy when I type C-M-a and end up at the beginning
of the file instead of the beginning of the function.

>  indent works wonders for massaging code into a single style...

:-)  I'll even volunteer to handle the process, and put in the proper
incantation so that emacs knows what the indentation should be.

> I really like Benoit's suggestion of moving documentation to
> header/source comments, because it's much more likely to be kept
> up-to-date there, than if it were a separately maintained entity.=20

Source please, not header.  I know there are currently lots of comments
in header files, but I prefer comments closer to the actual code and I
think the are more likely to be updated there.  How much of your time do
you spend editing .c files vs. .h files?

David

--=-HQa8NXMK919WIAdfgu8Y

--=-HQa8NXMK919WIAdfgu8Y--