A couple of suggestions.

Matthew Vanecek mevanecek@yahoo.com
23 Nov 2002 11:17:30 -0600

--=-GFFImwvymAEo3+4xj3hy

On Fri, 2002-11-22 at 20:34, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 09:03:40PM -0500, Derek Atkins was heard to remar=
k:
> > There are plans to support "accounting periods", so you would only
> > load the most recent "accounting period", and would have to do something
> > "special" to see previous periods.  However thank functionality is not
> > complete.
>=20
> I'll hapily complete this function if somebody could put me into
> an income-producing employment situation.=20=20
>=20
> --linas

Hm, shoulda spoken sooner.  I was going to implement the structure for
Periods and Budgets in the SQL backend, and work on integrating that
into the GUI/engine, and provide a path for implementing them in the
other backends...

If you want, though, I could provide my ideas for the Period editor.  My
data design for (most of) the SQL Accounting functions is at
http://home1.gte.net/res0t4mo/projnotes/ and includes some Period
entities.  I've not yet drawn mock-ups of the GUI for the Periods
Editor--I need to get the SQL backend design complete and modularized.=20
That's probably a couple of months away, depending on time available.

I would like to mention, WRT the original post, that opening a 10M file
is always a pain, and that this is one of the disadvantages of XML.  My
favorite editor at work (Visual Slick) can open a 10-20M file, but it
doesn't load the entire file all at once.  Unfortunately (based on what
little I know of XML), you have to parse the entire XML file at once.
Try opening it in Mozilla and see what happens!  Could Gnucash load
parts of the data while the rest of the file was loading in the
background?  E.g., when all the gnc:account items had been loaded, could
the GUI load that, and let the rest of the load continue in the
background, perhaps with a progress meter?  Just a thought, no idea
about the complexity...

--=20
Matthew Vanecek <mevanecek@yahoo.com>

--=-GFFImwvymAEo3+4xj3hy