gnucash-docs

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 22:05:43 -0600

Hi Chris,

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 04:35:56PM -0800, Chris Lyttle was heard to remark:
> Hi,
> I have been
> busy writing a new set of documentation for GnuCash 1.8. As part of this
> I disabled the old documentation from being made as part of GnuCash and
> moved the new documents into a separate CVS module called gnucash-docs.

I just noticed that the docs on the gnucash website, which are normally
just copies of stuff in the gnucash package, haven't been updated in
well, an embarassingly long time.

So I went to build the docs, and realized that I did not know how,
I couldn't build the english docs, I couldn't build the portuguese docs.
How the heck does one build the docs?

And then it occurs to me: which docs will be in gnucasah-docs?
The new help files? The old manual? a new manual?  what about
the spanish, portuguese, french, german translations (which are
of varying quality, and are based on older sources).  What do we do
with those, until a new translation arrives (e.g. the french translation
is so old, its not even based on the sgml source?)

Let me know; I don't want to loose the translations, even if they are
old; I also want to update what's available on the website, which is old

As you answer the above questions, can I ask you to write them into
a README file in the gnucash-docs home dir, explaining the policy, the
locations, the contents, etc?  So that the next confused dork doesn't
suffer the same ingominities?

--linas

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas@linas.org>