A request w.r.t. inflation and Normalization

cbbrowne@acm.org cbbrowne@acm.org
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 19:43:02 -0400

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002 20:47:41 +0300, the world broke into rejoicing as
Guy Baruch <guybar@plasma-gate.weizmann.ac.il>  said:
> However, the only treatment I've found in the documentation for inflation
> is the expense-account for inflation-adjustment .

Inflation is indeed a problem...

Part of the problem is that different countries have considerably
different ways to handle accounting for inflation.

For the most part, the attempts have largely been failures, and the
parts of the world that don't have currencies suffering from
"hyperinflation" largely pretend it's not there, as the accounting
methods proposed don't turn out terribly well.

It is quite typical for an "inflation index" to be called a "Consumer
Price Index;" that's certainly not unique to Israel.  If y'all are
having to cope with "hyperinflation," it's pretty certain that:
 a) GnuCash lacks the explicit tools to deal with that, and
 b) You'll not see terribly many alternatives that /do/ have good tools.

The challenge is that it is likely that nobody that has done development
on GnuCash has been interested in providing support for reports that are
CPI-adjusted.  It's certainly not critical in countries where inflation
rates are relatively low...
--
(concatenate 'string "aa454" "@freenet.carleton.ca")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/linuxdistributions.html