What can I do to help?

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
02 Oct 2002 12:40:41 -0400

[guile-devel BCC'd but removed from CC line]

Rob Browning <rlb@defaultvalue.org> writes:

> > Similarly lacking is a plug-in directory to all the system to
> > autoload new modules (ala a system-wide '.emacs' ;) I think once
> > both of those issues are resolved it will be MUCH easier for users
> > to write gnucash applets.
>
> As a short-term solution, you could just require users to add a
>
>   (use-modules (some-add-on))
>   (some-add-on-init)
>
> to their .gnucash/user file.  Add-on's would be placed in the normal
> gnucash guile module dir.

Which works oh so well when you have 10,000 users sharing an
installation of Gnucash....

Sarcasm aside,

> You could also arrange a convention for the above two calls, and add a
> gui for selecting modules.  When one is selected, lines like the above
> are placed in the ./gnucash/auto file.

Unfortunately by that time it is too late (unless the plugins only work
as of a program restart).  By the time the main window is up, it's too
late to add new modules, because they cannot add items to the menubar
(it's too late)

> This might in fact be better than universally enabling all the modules
> on the system for all users, though you can get the same effect if
> modules by-default do nothing when loaded (if appropriate) until
> "turned on" somehow in a given user's config.

I would rather it work that if the user has the OFX module installed,
OFX will appear in the menu.  Similarly, if the user has the HBCI module
installed it should appear in the menu.

I'd like a centralize location for this -- and the ability for, say,
and 'ofx rpm' to install a file that will get FORCE an autoload of the
ofx module.