What can I do to help?

Martin Grabmueller mgrabmue@cs.tu-berlin.de
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 11:18:27 +0200 (MEST)

> From: Neil Jerram <neil@ossau.uklinux.net>
> Date: 30 Sep 2002 19:38:36 +0100

>     William> On Sat, Sep 28, 2002 at 06:19:34PM +0200, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
>     >>
>     >> Don't know about the difficulty, and the actual need of such a
>     >> project, but maybe a set of GUILE bindings for libxml or
>     >> somesuch -- XML is becoming the standard for storing various
>     >> files, and there GUILE doesn't come with any support for
>     >> reading or writing it (out-of-the-box, that is).
>
>     William> Sounds like a good idea to me.  Is anyone else working on
>     William> this? (don't want to step on anyone's toes).  Does
>     William> anybody have any requests/advice for how it
>     William> should/shouldn't be done?
>
> I'm pretty sure there are already two implementations of this - the
> names `mixp', `guile-expat' and `Thierry Bezecourt' ring bells in my
> memory, so you might like to google the web first.  ISTR that most
> links for mixp are broken, but that I eventually managed to download a
> copy by some semi-obvious modification of the broken URL.
> (Unfortunately I don't still have a copy here.)

guile-expat was written by me [1], but I stopped working on it because
I looked into mixp and it looked better.  Nevertheless, guile-expat
works (at least with the version of expat I was using -- can't
remember which), and could be interesting to people who want to learn
about wrapping external libraries for Guile use.

But maybe looking into Gnucash or AbiWord would be more useful.

Happy Guiling,
  'martin

[1] http://www.pintus.de/mgrabmue/guile/guile.html#modules