Gnucash 1.8 proposed schedule (and HBCI status)

Christian Stimming stimming@tuhh.de
Tue, 08 Oct 2002 13:14:18 +0200

What do people think about their planned features for a gnucash 1.8
release, and how long it will take to complete them?

I'd like to post again the proposed schedule for a stable release *now*,
that is, one that will be released with features that are ready at this
point in time, and where more advanced features will be delayed until
later versions of that release series. I guess each developer can decide
for himself which feature belongs in which category. Proposed schedule:

Oct 13 Feature freeze, release 1.7.1-alpha

Oct 27 Total feature freeze, initial string freeze + initial translation
work, release 1.7.2-alpha

Nov 10 Deep freeze = only bugfixes, String freeze, call for
translations, release 1.7.3-beta

Nov 24 still Deep+string freeze, only reviewed bugfixes, release 1.7.4-beta

Dec 8 Release 1.8.0, or if needed another 1.7.5 release and 1.8.0 on Dec 22

I think we sould need to find some agreement on whether we want to
follow this or another schedule, and we need to find/designate somebody
who prepares the release tarballs. (I can't due to time constraints.)
Chris Lyttle, would it be possible for you to prepare tarballs in a
1.7/1.8 series, since you already did a great job with the 1.6 releases?
I think that starting to release alpha/beta tarballs of the upcoming new
series will enable a whole new bunch of testers to jump in and try every
cool new feature that we've been working on during the last 15 months.

For my part, the HBCI features are basically ready for testing. I
finished the Setup druid, the Balance retrieval with account reconcile,
the Transaction Retrieval by using the generic transaction import, and
the transaction invocation. More work is needed to

- improve generic transaction import -- there are some issues that I
need to discuss with Benoit, which will need another 10-20 h of work
(but for basic testing this is already working well enough)
- enable off-line queueing of HBCI jobs and add a menu item to execute
all queued HBCI jobs in one shot -- nice to have but not essential to
start the alpha releases (6h)

Christian

PS: Note that I'm out of town and away from email until Oct 14.