Preferences dialog suggestions

Peter O'Gorman peter@pogma.com
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 23:44:58 +0900

On Sunday, October 20, 2002, at 11:18  PM, Derek Atkins wrote:

> I absolutely DISPISE the Mac Interface, for ONE reason: it's too rigid.
> I think it's great that all the applications look and feel pretty much
> the same.  Consistency is good.  OTOH, *I* have a way that I work best,
> and I'd like to set up _MY_ interface to work the way _I_ want it to,
> not the way _the programmer_ thought it should work.  Hense, I want
> options to control EVERY LITTLE DETAIL of the interface.

Well, there is actually nothing in the mac Human Interface Guidelines
which  says "you must remove functionality", it says things like do not
confuse the user, don't start options with the negative etc...

I do have a suggestion to add here:
The preferences tabs would be easier to understand if they each
contained a text field at the top explaining what was controlled by the
options in that particular tab.

I do tend to agree that with reorganization, nothing needs to be
removed from the preferences, unless it is actually unused.

Just my 2 cents,

Peter