Spanish Translation to GNUCASH

Christian Stimming stimming@tuhh.de
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 22:44:15 +0200

On Sonntag, 20. Oktober 2002 10:42, Pablo Iranzo Gómez wrote:
> El dom, 20-10-2002 a las 01:09, Christian Stimming escribió:
> > That's great news to hear. We are always in desperate need of
> > enthusiastic translators.
>
> 	I've worked translating SuSE's YaST, YaST2 and SaX since 5.3 to 8.0...
> So at least a bit I know :)
>
> > As for a spanish translation, I can see that there is an existing
> > es_NI.po file which is kind of up-to-date: it has 1400 out of 1650
> > messages translated. This one can surely need some polishing to get it
> > up-to-date again. Also, there's a severely outdated es.po file (800
> > translated messages) but I don't know the difference between both
> > locales.
>
> 	Probably that would be the translation for Nicaragua, I'm not very sure
> about diferences with the Spanish we use at Spain, I've mainly readed
> texts in Argentinian Spanish that differ very much (to the point to
> prefer having it in english most of the times)... I'll do the es.po if
> there is no inconvennience.

You can if you want to. However, since the es_NI.po is much more up to date, I
would suggest for you to first check whether you can build a "native spanish"
translation based on that work -- it might save you 600 messages to translate
:-) . But anyway, that is totally up to you.

> > Do you happen to have an account for cvs.gnome.org?
>
> 	No, I don't have any... It's my first translation to GNOME ¿were can I
> aplly for one?

I can't really say much about that, since I do very little inside GNOME.
Maybe, if you just work on the gnucash translation, then it should be fine if
you simply retrieve the .pot catalogs from gnucash's anonymus CVS, and submit
your work as a gzip'd file to gnucash-patches with CC to me. Details about
the gnucash-patches list and about gnucash's CVS are on www.gnucash.org .

> > There will be a new release series coming up this december, which will
> > require much more translation work. A "call for translation" will be
> > issued shortly and posted on gnucash-devel as well as
> > gnome-i18n@gnome.org.
>
> 	I'm not in those lists, at which one do you recommend me to join? (Do I
> join as usual? mail to login@gnome.org?subject=subscribe?)

If you're only interested in gnucash, then gnucash-devel@gnucash.org is the
most interesting list (but occasionally has very heavy traffic). If you are
interested in gnome translations in general, gnome-i18n is the more
appropriate list (but occasionally they have heavy traffic as well), and
somewhere on gnome.org they provide details on how to subscribe to that list.

Christian