Docs for 1.8

Christian Stimming stimming@tuhh.de
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 10:36:50 +0100

Chris Lyttle wrote:

> This resulted in the tarball going from 14MB for 1.7.1
> to 4.9MB for 1.7.2.
>
> This rather substantial difference got me thinking that it might be
> better for me to split the docs off into a separate package that could
> be built and added separately to the main gnucash package.

Oh, absolutely. If you are already working on the docs, we should
definitely try to make it a seperate package.

> The main
> difficulty I see with this approach is that the help would bring up an
> error 'Not found The specified URL could not be loaded'. We could;
> 1) Leave the error message as is if the docs aren't installed, this
> would indicate to people that they dont have docs but could also
> generate bug reports that the docs dont work when its just they are not
> installed.

> 2) Figure out some way of 'greying' the help menu items if the docs
> aren't found. Basically this would just mean getting the help menu items
> to look for the help html pages and if they aren't there greying out.

Proposal 2) would definitely be even better. But as an easy approach we
could also make the error message more verbose: "The specified page
could not be loaded. This error occurs if you don't have the 'Gnucash
docs' package installed." or similiar.

> I also wanted to let you know that I am planning to make all the new
> docs xml. This to me has several advantages.

Sure. You're the editor, so if you are ready/able to choose the more
advanced document format just go ahead.

Christian