EURO sign

Christian Stimming stimming@tuhh.de
Tue, 03 Sep 2002 19:10:29 +0200

Otto Müller wrote:

> I applied this patch and played around with the exported report and the
> OpenOffice Writer.
>
> Without the patch, the euro symbol is the character "¤", with the
> patch applied it is the character "€". The latter is displayed (in
> gnucash as well as in my browser) as the correct glyph.
>
> When loading the reports into the OpenOffice Writer and saving them, I
> find a conversion (done by OpenOffice Writer): The "¤" becomes the
> metacharacter "¤" and the "€" becomes the metacharacter
> "€".
>
> First I wonder about the € from gnucash as a look at the patch
> suggests to find a €.

Right, I was irritated about that, too. However, the HTML file that you
can "export" is not quite what comes out of gnucash's report generating
code. Instead, gnucash's report generating code generates some HTML
(using the "€" entity as indicated in my patch), which is fed into
the gtkhtml library, which displays it inside gnucash. If you press
"Export", then the export-Function of the gtkhtml library is invoked.
Contrary to what you'd expect, this export function does *not* export
the html source as-is. This is a bug of gtkhtml and we've encountered
that problem before (~one year ago). It will probably not be fixed soon,
if at all.

The correct workaround in gnucash would be to have the "Export" button
save the gnucash-generated html source to a file directly, instead of
invoking gtkhtml's export function. We've discussed that before, and
basically nobody was motivated enough to implement that. So, as long as
it does work somehow, I'd just live with it. Maybe at some point in time
gtkhtml fixes that problem :-)

Christian