Postgresql/SQL back-end

Matthew Vanecek mevanecek@yahoo.com
18 Sep 2002 18:48:44 -0500

--=-2DK2eozsTaYA+oTXH68h

On Wed, 2002-09-18 at 00:09, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 10:02:55PM -0500, Matthew Vanecek was heard to re=
mark:
> > Is there any documentation available WRT the SQL interface and
> > Postgresql back-end?  Perhaps a little more than is available in the
> did you find a reasonable set of docs/ did you read what you found?
>=20
> I can try to answer any specific questions;  I'm snowed under email,
> again :-(
>=20
> --linas
>=20

Well, I'm reading the gnucash-design stuff right now, more or less.=20
Kindof skimming, and reading the Engine section.  I did find some Dia
diagrams on the Account, Transaction, and Split entities, which I may
take the time to make more DB developer friendly.  I'm still a little
confused by the KVP stuff, but I haven't read through the kvp_doc.txt
yet.  Any pointers on KVP stuff and how the postgres backend uses it
would help.

I'm still get acquainted with the code and the table setup.  I was going
to ask about FOREIGN KEYs, but I read the README and saw it under the
to-do, so I'm going to try and read a little more before I start making
comments, suggestions, and/or code change.

One thing I probably will go ahead and do is diagram the existing tables
in an ERD, and see where we're at with it.  I love diagrams. ;)  What's
the preferred format, Dia, TCM, or Visio (just kidding--unless it works
on Linux!).  I may be interested in re-designing the table structures at
some point, but I haven't really studied the existing ones enough to
know if that would even be a good idea.  Presumably field names for
to-be FOREIGN KEYS are by convention the same as the corresponding field
in the parent table?

Thanks for the feedback--I know all about being busy with life!!
--=20
Matthew Vanecek
perl -e 'print
$i=3Dpack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'
*****
except me.

--=-2DK2eozsTaYA+oTXH68h

--=-2DK2eozsTaYA+oTXH68h--