Books, sessions [was: Re: UI independance]

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Apr 8 22:42:23 CDT 2003

Matthew Vanecek <mevanecek at yahoo.com> writes:

> I personally would prefer "Period" to indicate a chunk of time, and
> "Book" to indicate a set of accounts that are measured for a given
> entity (e.g., husband, wife, company...).  I haven't looked to see how
> hard that is to bring the code in line with that, though...perhaps sed
> could be used, or perl, to change all "GNCBook" to "GNCPeriod"... ;)

Well, we don't currently have a GNCPeriod object..  Are you suggesting
that what's currently called a GNCBook be renamed a GNCPeriod?  If so,
then what does a GNCBook do, and still how does that relate to a GNCSession?

> > > Advice, comments ...
> >
> > My advice is that we should optimize for SQL (either the Postgres or
> > the to-be-written embedded-MySQL Backends) and relegate the XML "File
> > Backend" to secondary (interchange) status -- then you don't have to
> > worry about all the issues that using XML files implies.
> >

> I second that emotion.  I have noticed, however, that the BookList seems
> to be the future with Sessions.  If a bunch of files were "loaded" into
> the BookList (1 file per entry), or if multiple database rows were
> loaded into the BookList, I think what would remain is to have access
> methods for the closed Books.  That is, you could use the existing
> methods, but it looks to me that most of the Book access/update methods
> restrict themselves to the "open" Book and ignore the others.  That's
> probably an incomplete assessment, but is something that should be
> double-checked.

I don't think I understand what you mean here.  Could you explain
what you mean by a BookList, and what you mean by "existing methods"?
I just don't think I understand where you're coming from or what you're
trying to get across here.