IIF, QIF, QuickBooks Import

Craig Lanning CraigL at Knology.net
Thu Apr 17 13:57:31 CDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-17 at 12:37, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Craig Lanning <CraigL at Knology.net> writes:
>
> > Not only have I used QB for my personal finances (Quicken wouldn't do
> > what I wanted to do), I also keep the finances for my church (yes, that
> > means I'm the treasurer).  Having the financial data in a real database
> > would mean that other programs could be written to extract (and
> > potentially insert) data from (to) the database.
>
> Storing data into the database might be problematic -- Gnucash
> requires a number of invariants, and really just uses the database as
> a data store.  You would have to make sure you maintained those
> invariants if you went around the gnucash engine when you added data
> into the database....  If nothing else, it will NOT be a "supported
> operation", and if you destroy your data doing it, don't come crying
> to us ;)

The only data I can see manipulating directly in the DB is the
"Customer" names, addresses, etc. (maybe the "Vendor" names, addresses,
etc., too).  Hopefully, I can set something up to do that without hosing
Gnucash.

Once the "new and improved" SQL mechanism is working, we can hash out
what is supported and how to do it.

> > Having a good mechanism for importing all the legacy financial info from
> > QB would allow me to migrate the historical data for the church from QB
> > to Gnucash.
>
> Agreed.  It doesn't affect me, but I agree that a migration path would
> be a Good Thing (TM).
>
> > Sorry for the long winded dissertation of my motives.  I'll go back to
> > my day job now.

Oh, well, one of the dangers of working at home.  I keep checking my
personal mail.

Craig