TIMESTAMP problem in GnuCash Postgresql backend

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat Aug 2 15:54:16 CDT 2003

linas at linas.org (Linas Vepstas) writes:

> > Do y'all think that we should worry about that?  As far as I can tell,
> > the data is stored properly in the database in all cases--it appears
> > that it is just the presentation that is messed up. Opinions?
>
> I'm not too concerned, except that the the gmt vs not gmt thing
> should be clarified & fixed.

Agreed..

> I figure that with multiple users, different users might be in
> different timezones, so each user should see times in thier own
> local timezone.

IMHO, all dates should be stored in GMT and presented to local time
for the viewer.  I.e., the user works in local time, the data is
stored in GMT.  That the XML backend is adding a timezone is, IMHO, a
bug that should be fixed.

As for postgres, I do not believe you need to (or should) change the
column definition.  I think you should just store the timestamp in
GMT, and read it back in as GMT.  We just need to figure out where the
proper conversions are/should be done between GMT and localtime, but
IMHO the backend should store in GMT.