sorry - Improvement-suggestions, gnc 1.8.4

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Wed Aug 6 13:54:39 CDT 2003

Sina Jany schrieb:
> Sorry for my english. I learned it more than 50 years ago
> at school without using it any time practical or professionally.

50 years ago? That would mean you probably ... err .. belong to an
unusual age-group on this mailing list. :-)

> Many thanks to all, who are working in hers freetime for
> Gnucash. I am very gladly you do so.
> Gnucash is realy very good.

Thanks.

As for your improvement suggestions:

 > The "Account Hirarchie" couldn't be printed.
 > (Is deactivated)  Please activate it (for always).

I don't know whether anyone here ever tried to implement printing of the
"account hierarchie". I would surely think this is incredibly hard to
implement, so we will probably not do this in the near future. You can
achieve almost the same printed output by opening an "Account summary"
report, selecting the accounts you want to see, and print the report.
Sorry that your proposed feature will probably not be implemented soon,
but the described workaround should hopefully satify your needs.

 > Here in germany, we are using the Code *always* together
 > with the name of the Account. In this reason, the Code
 > always is written on the left of the "Account name".
 >
 > With gnc the "Code" is only writeable in the "Account Tree"
 > and in the "Transaction Report". But it is needed always,
 > meaning needed on all pages and "text reports".

I think the field "Account code" was never intended to hold the actual
"bank account number". Instead, the field "account code" is intended to
hold a (usually) three-digit number that will identify this account in
your personal account hierarchy (in German: Industrie-/Einzelhandels-
kontenrahmen). There, all of your accounts have some code, like "100"
for "Assets", "110" for "Assets:Bank Account", and "111" for
"Assets:Bank Account:MyFirstBank".

On the contrary I think you are referring to an account's bank account
number, like "1234567890" for "Assets:Bank Account:MyFirstBank". In
Gnucash there is no special field for these kinds of account numbers. If
you nevertheless want to see the bank account numbers, the easiest
choice is probably to include them in the account name, e.g.
"Assets:Bank Account:MyFirstBank-1234567890"

Or did I misinterpret your posting? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

Christian