Financial Calculator docs

Terry Boldt tboldt at attglobal.net
Wed Aug 6 21:22:50 CDT 2003

On Wednesday 06 August 2003 10:52, Jon Lapham wrote:
> Firstly, wow, this financial calculator is pretty damn nice.
>
> Secondly, I wrote some docs on using it:
> http://www.jandr.org/temp/gnucashdocs/loans_calcs1.html
>
> I'll paste the text below (but you can't see my pretty screenshot this
> way).  Any other examples you can think might be instructive?   I put
> this in the "loans" chapter, and I'm thinking of also putting it in the
> investments chapter with an example of using it to calculate predicted
> returns on investments.  Sound good?
>
> Oh, eventually I would like to include the formulas used for the
> calculations.  Anyone have them handy?

Look in the source file - I put all of the equations in there along with
examples and explanations of the equations and their derivation.

Look in "src/calculation/fin.c".

Approximately the first half of the file is comments on the financial
equations, conventions used, the use of the equations and how to compute an
amortization schedule and the various types of amortization schedules.

I think you will find the explanations, equations, derivations and examples
pretty extensive and explanatory.

Also look at the README file I included for some explanation of the functions
as coded.

Enjoy

Terry Boldt