New rpm/README file

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Fri Aug 8 12:10:31 CDT 2003

I rewrote the rpm/README file.  I used a "gnucash" example (instead of
xacc), showed how to build a tar.gz distribution from CVS files, removed
the .wmconfig step (because this file doesn't exit), and changed the rpm
build command to the new executable name.   I didn't remove the old
instructions, just added these new one below.

Can someone review the text?

1) Obtain a GnuCash distribution (source code .tar.gz file),
    either by downloading from an ftp site somewhere, or building
    from CVS using "make dist".  The file should have the nomenclature
    gnucash-X.Y.Z.tar.gz where X.Y.Z are the release numbers.

2) Copy and uncompress/tar the distribution in your
    /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES directory.  Note, use your distribution
    specific path here, only redhat uses "/usr/src/redhat".

    cd /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
    cp /SOMEPATH/gnucash-X.Y.Z.tar.gz
    tar xvzf gnucash-X.Y.Z.tar.gz

3) Copy the rpm SPEC file to /usr/src/redhat/SPEC.  If the file has
    terminates with ".in", remove it so the final filename is
    gnucash.spec.

    cp gnucash-X.Y.Z/rpm/gnucash.spec.in ../SPECS/gnucash.spec

4) Edit the spec file, you probably will only need to modify the
    following 4 lines:

    %define _with_postgres 0      (use postgres backend?)
    %define _with_ofx 0           (use openofx package?)
    %define _with_hbci 0          (use hbci package?)
    %define version @-VERSION-@   (replace with current version)

5) Build the binary and source RPMs
    cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
    rpmbuild -ba gnucash.spec

    (note: older versions of rpm use "rpm -ba FILE.spec" to build)

6) Wait a bit, and a new binary rpm will be in
    /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/<arch> and a new src.rpm will be in
    /usr/src/redhat/SRPMS.

--
  Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil