New rpm/README file

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Fri Aug 8 12:48:19 CDT 2003

Derek Atkins wrote:
> No, you never need to run autogen.sh after untarring the tarball.
> You should run configure.

See, I've lived in the CVS world to long.  For now, I'll just say that
you need to run "./configure" before grabbing the gnucash.spec file.  If
in the future we ever build that file during "make dist", I'll remove
the text from the README.

Derek, if this looks kosher, can you commit the attached file for me?

New text:
1) Obtain a GnuCash distribution (source code .tar.gz file),
    either by downloading from an ftp site somewhere, or building
    from CVS using "make dist".  The file should have the nomenclature
    gnucash-X.Y.Z.tar.gz where X.Y.Z are the release numbers.

2) Copy and uncompress/tar the distribution in your
    /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES directory.  You will need to do this as the
    root user.  Note, use your distribution-specific path here, only
    redhat uses "/usr/src/redhat".

    cd /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
    cp /SOMEPATH/gnucash-X.Y.Z.tar.gz
    tar xvzf gnucash-X.Y.Z.tar.gz

3) Build and copy the rpm spec file to /usr/src/redhat/SPEC.

    cd gnucash-X.Y.Z/
    ./configure
    cd rpm
    make
    cp gnucash.spec /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/.

4) Edit the spec file, you probably will only need to modify the
    following 3 lines, depending on what features you want to include
    in the rpm:

    %define _with_postgres 0      (use postgres backend?)
    %define _with_ofx 0           (use openofx package?)
    %define _with_hbci 0          (use hbci package?)

5) Build the binary and source RPMs
    cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
    rpmbuild -ba gnucash.spec

    (note: older versions of rpm use "rpm -ba FILE.spec" to build)

6) Wait a bit, and a new binary rpm will be in
    /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/<arch> and a new src.rpm will be in
    /usr/src/redhat/SRPMS.

--
  Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil