wiki try at gnomesupport.org

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Tue Aug 12 12:24:02 CDT 2003

Christian Stimming wrote:
> Yes, good idea. I also simply filled in the existing gnucash page on the
> gnomesupport wiki:
>
> http://gnomesupport.org/wiki/index.php/GnuCash
>
> No idea whether this should be used in the future (there exist better
> wiki implementations), or we use some other wiki, or we setup one on our
> own. But for now it is up and running.

I'm a bit conflicted over whether I like the idea of a wiki or not.  On
one hand, it is great in that people can easily contribute.  On the
other hand, it is Yet Another Place for Documentation.

I guess I can use the wiki as a place to harvest information to put in
the documentation, kind of like what I do now with the user- mailing
list archives, the devel- ML archives, the v1.6 docs, IRC, external
HOWTOs, etc, etc, ....

I'm just imagining people in the mailing list answering "oh, you should
look at the GnuCash wiki...", or "use the XXX business guide", or "I saw
a thread on that the other day", or "I remember that in the old docs",
or etc.  Ugh, what an nightmare.  I like the idea of a central
repository with *everything*.  One stop shopping.

Maybe my question to you (Christain) is this:  When and why should
people use the wiki over simply using the GnuCash documentation?

Oh, and I certainly recognize the fact that the current documentation
seems rather immutable to normal users.  Maybe we should come up with a
way to change that.  One way I have been trying to change that is by
being responsive to users in terms of documenting things, as they ask it.

Anyway, don't get me wrong, Christain, I am not complaining about your
idea of the wiki.  In fact, I think it is great to stir the pot!  I'm
just giving you my 2 Brazilian Centavos on the subject.

:)

-Jon

--
  Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil