Gnucash architecture and dependencies

Andreas Rottmann a.rottmann at gmx.at
Tue Aug 12 20:37:15 CDT 2003

Josh Sled <jsled at asynchronous.org> writes:

> On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 01:31:51AM -0400, Benoit Gr?goire wrote:
>
> | Sincerely, I don't see much to dump.
> | -Technically we could dump XML eventually.
> | -Dumping guile just to replace it with another scripting language
> | is neither realistic nor really usefull.
>
> An interesting subset of the system is written in guile ... I'm not
> necessarily advocating dumping/replacing it, but perhaps alongside,
> [insert-more-popular-language]-bindings might be helpful.
>
> Weekend developers would help the project.  Weekend developers transition
> into full developers.
>
> Lisp is awesome, but nobody knows it.  People do know Perl and Python.
> I'd vote for the latter.  The class of people we need to attract [bug
> fixers and small-change-adders seem to know and love it.  It's viable to
> write larger projects in, and will be around for a while ... even if it
> has an unforgiveable attitude toward whitespace. ;)

I don't know if anybody here has been following the progress of the
guile-gobject bindings (based on g-wrap).

guile-gobject provides wrappers for GLib, GObject and GTK+2. It uses
the same .defs files (generated from C headers) that are also used by
the Python GTK+2 wrapper engine. If gnucash jumpend onto the GObject
bandwagon, i.e. converting its internal APIs to GObject-based ones, it
would be very simple to have the full internal APIs wrapped both in
Guile and in Python.

> | -Dumping g-wrap or alternatively swallowing it's codebase is a
> | good long term goal.
>
> Swallowing it, it seems ... without some major sub-system re-writes, we
> need it for a while.

Hmm, well, you can't really swallow it, as it's starting to be used
more and more heavily by other bindings, among them guile-gobject and
gst-guile (Guile GStreamer bindings).

I use it for Distwork (still pre-alpha), a generic work distribution
framework along the lines of distcc and distmp3.

Regards, Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann         | Rotty at ICQ      | 118634484 at ICQ | a.rottmann at gmx.at
http://www.8ung.at/rotty | GnuPG Key: http://www.8ung.at/rotty/gpg.asc